Recipe by PetesNina
My family loved my old Salisbury Steak recipe, but due to my husband's cholesterol/blood pressure I had to take a bit of time to revise all my old recipes. Believe it or not, this revision is preferred over my old recipe! I personally like it because it is chock full of vegetables (which cuts the calories and boosts the nutritional value) that my son can't shun!
Top Review by rpgaymer
I liked this! I love how you add veggies to make the dish healthier and the meat more moist & juicy. I wasn't crazy about the mushroom gravy, but that's because here in Chicago salisbury steak is usually served with a red sauce- must be regional thing. Otherwise, quite good!
- 453.59 g extra lean ground beef
- 1 red pepper
- 1 green pepper
- 1 large onion
- 1 small yellow squash
- 118.29 ml celery
- 177.44-236.59 ml Italian style breadcrumbs
- 3 egg whites
- 304.75 g can reduced-sodium cream of mushroom soup
- 304.75 g water
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Finely dice or pulse in food processor the vegetables. If I use the food processor, I squeeze excess liquid from the vegetables after I process them.
- Mix ground beef, vegetables, egg whites and 3/4 C bread crumbs together. If the mixture is too soft, add the additional 1/4 C bread crumbs.
- Divide meat mixture into 6 balls and shape into patties.
- Place patties in 9X13 inch baking dish.
- Mix soup with water and pour over patties.
- Cover with foil and bake for 90 minutes till done.
- After the salisbury steaks are done, sometimes I will transfer the soup mixture to a small pan, whisk in some cornstarch and thicken it to use as gravy.