1/2 Photos of Salisbury Steak
I came up with this recipe while referencing another recipe here on Zaar. I would have simply reviewed the recipe and added to my cookbook but I made such changes that it is not like the original recipe I referenced, so I feel it would not be a fair rating if I did rate it(even a high rating, which it would have been) I am not saying this is better, but different, the recipe I went by is Simple Salisbury Steak . The main reason for the biggest change - the addition of brown gravy is because I like salisbury steaks with mashed potatoes and in order to have enough gravy for 4 or 5 serving of potatoes needs more gravy, plus when I think of salisbury steak I think of brown gravy.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can condensed cream of mushroom soup
- 1 (7/8 ounce) package brown gravy mix
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1/2 cup dry breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup onion (finely diced)
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- salt (to taste)
- pepper (to taste)
- 1 tablespoon margarine or 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 1/2 cups sliced mushrooms
- 1 medium onion (sliced thin)
- 1 teaspoon margarine or 1 teaspoon butter
- 1In large bowl, mix thoroughly 1/2 cup soup, the beef, bread crumbs, onion,worcestershire, salt, pepper to taste and egg.
- 2Shape firmly into 5 patties, about 3/4 inch thick.
- 3In large skillet over medium-high heat, melt margarine and cook 3 or 4 patties until browned on both sides, remove.
- 4Repeat with remaining patties and remove, spoon off fat.
- 5While patties are browning mix brown gravy mix with 1 cup of cold water.
- 6In same skillet, patties removed, add remaining mushroom soup, brown gravy and mushrooms; bring to boil.
- 7Return patties to skillet, reduce heat to low cover; simmer 20 minutes or until patties are thoroughly cooked and no longer pink, turning patties occasionally.
- 8While patties are cooking, saute sliced onion in 1 teaspoon of butter over medium heat stirring often until soft and caramelized.
- 9Serve patties topped with sauteed onions and mushroom sauce spooned over.
- 10I serve this with mashed potatoes, you could use egg noodles instead.
Browse Our Top Meat Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Salisbury Steak
Serving Size: 1 (232 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 456.6
- Calories from Fat 250
- Total Fat 27.8 g
- Saturated Fat 9.2 g
- Cholesterol 123.8 mg
- Sodium 1074.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 23.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.6 g
- Sugars 4.2 g
- Protein 27.5 g