Prep 15 mins
Cook 10 mins
This is a quick easy meal that really stretches a pound of hamburg. If you like an extra zip, serve with salsa!
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 2 slices bread
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped sweet pepper
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped onions
- 1 lb hamburger
- 1 cup dry breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- Put milk, veggies and bread in dish.
- Let stand for ten minutes.
- Incorporate hamburg (I use my hands).
- Make into 6 oblong patties.
- Coat patties with dry bread crumbs.
- Add oil to fry pan and heat.
- Brown patties until cooked through.
- Serve with green beans and baked potato.
I had to make some "substitutions". I was out of onions & dry bread crumbs. I substituted fresh mushrooms (chopped finely) for the onions (my daughter wouldn't eat them anyway) & crushed SEASONED CROUTONS for the dry bread crumbs. Then I combined a can of cream of mushroom soup,1 cup of water, & a package of brown gravy to the pan for a gravy. Simmered the "steaks" in it for a few minutes. My daughter & husband LOVED it! Although, I would OMIT the final breading stage (unless using actual BREAD CRUMBS would make that huge of a difference.
Tried this recipe when, I found myself out of eggs. Came out great. Used mushrooms instead of peppers. And served bathed in a gravy I made by sauteing mushrooms until soft, adding a little flour to brown, then stirred in some chicken broth and cooked until thickened.
These were okay and easy but I agree with the other reviewer that skipping the final bread crumbs would make better "steaks" or add more oil to pan.