Recipe by RagDoll90
This is a DELICIOUS recipe for the traditional Salisbury Steak with mushroom gravy. YUM!
Top Review by nosygirl
Since I can't have gluten, I substituted extra onions and 2 minced mushrooms to the meat mixture. I didn't have any red wine, so I had to use grape juice with a little vinegar. Still a very good, easy recipe. Also, added a clove of minced garlic to the meat. Tasty!
- extra virgin olive oil, couple turns of the pan
- 1 lb lean ground sirloin or 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1⁄4 cup finely chopped onion (about half a small onion)
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons McCormick grill seasoning (eyeball it) or 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt & pepper (eyeball it)
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce (4 or 5 splashes)
- 1⁄3 cup dry breadcrumbs (eyeball it)
- 1⁄2 large onion, halved and sliced thin
- 8 ounces sliced fresh white button mushrooms
- 1⁄3 cup dry red wine
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can beef broth
- 3 tablespoons cold water
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch (water & cornstarch should be mixed by shaking in a jar with lid tightly closed)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 250 degrees.
- Heat EVOO in a skillet.
- Combine beef, chopped onion, beaten egg, seasonings, Worcestershire sauce and bread crumbs in a bowl with hands.
- Shape into 4 oval patties, about 3/4" thick.
- Brown patties in skillet for 5 minutes per side, then remove patties to an oven-safe dish and keep warm in oven.
- Add a bit more EVOO to the pan, if necessary.
- Add sliced onion and mushrooms to skillet and sauté until mushrooms are golden brown, about 5 minutes, then add salt & pepper.
- Add red wine to deglaze skillet and cook out alcohol, about 5 minutes.
- Add beef broth and heat to boiling, then reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Bring onion mixture to boil again and add water/cornstarch mixture. Stir constantly, for 1 minute, and add salt & pepper.
- Pour gravy over patties, and serve.