Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
This recipe is nothing like the school-cafeteria's. Perfect for a hot family dinner :P
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1⁄3 cup dry breadcrumbs
- 1⁄2 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 1 cup mushroom, sliced
- 2 cups beef broth
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 3 tablespoons cold water
- Mix the beef, bread crumbs, onions, egg, Worcestershire sauce, salt, and pepper with your hands in a medium bowl. Shape into 4 patties, each about 3/4 to 1 inch thick.
- Melt the butter with the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the patties and fry for 4 to 5 minutes on each side. Use a spatula to transfer the patties from the skillet to an oven-proof plate; keep warm.
- Add the sliced onion and mushrooms to the skillet and saute until the mushrooms give up their juice, about 8 minutes. Stir in the broth, using a wooden spoon to scrape up any browned bits from the bottom of the skillet. Heat to boiling, then reduce the heat, cover, and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Dissolve the cornstarch in the water in a small bowl. Stir into the mushroom mixture and bring to a boil. Cook, stirring, until thickened.
- Pour the mushroom gravy over the patties and serve.
This is my new salisbury steak recipe,by far the best!!
I made this for dinner last night. It was great! The meat was very tender and flavorful! The gravy is good but it's a rather lightly colored and a bit on the subtle side (which could be because i didn't use the mushrooms) but that's okay i doctored it up on my own and it turned out really dark and thick . I tripled the amount of gravy and doubled the beef. I used extra Worcestershire sauce because i like my beef gravy a bit darker. Also no mushrooms we don't really like them here. After i fried my beef patties and took them out i made the gravy and i cooked the patties in the gravy. It made them very very moist. I served mine with egg noodles and succotash for a true guy meal.