Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is how I make my Salisbury steak. My DH loves this with creamy mashed potatoes. It is very easy and good.
- 1 1⁄4 lbs ground chuck
- 1⁄2 cup fresh breadcrumb
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 large egg
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1⁄2 lb fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 2 tablespoons catsup
- In a bowl, combine the ground chuck, breadcrumbs, onion, egg, and spices.
- Shape into 4 oval patties.
- In skillet, heat oil.
- Sauté patties until well browned and cooked through.
- Remove to a plate.
- In skillet add the mushrooms and cook until golden.
- In a small bowl, gradually beat water into flour.
- Stir into the mushrooms, along with the catsup. cook until thickened.
Just like Mom used to make! Easy and delicious, not to mention filling. I don't care for the ketchup in the gravy, so I just made brown gravy with the drippings from the steaks. I also made without the mushrooms, only because mom didn't make them that way. Served them with mashed potatoes and corn - great winter meal.
I used ground turkey because we do not eat beef, I don't suggest doing that it wasn't that good really
Hubby never had Salisbury steak, TRUE! VERY filling, delicious too! When comfort food is what you need, This makes a yummy feed!