Prep 10 mins
Cook 45 mins
I don't know where I got this recipe, but I have made this for years for my family as a regular "go-to" recipe. It is simple and delicious with a fantastic dark brown onion sauce. Coating the patties in a light dusting of flour makes for plump, juicy patties swimming in dark, rich onion sauce.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs ground beef
- 1⁄4 cup stuffed green olives or 1⁄4 cup ripe olives, sliced
- 1⁄4 cup cracker crumb
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 1 egg
- 1⁄8 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 slices bacon, uncooked and diced
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 4 tablespoons oil, divided
- 3 yellow onions, sliced
- 6 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 3 1⁄2 cups water, divided
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- In a large bowl, lightly mix ground beef, sliced olives, cracker crumbs, milk, egg, salt and pepper to taste, thyme, diced bacon.
- Form 5-6 fat patties; coat in flour.
- Brown both sides in 2 T. hot oil.
- Remove meat and keep warm.
- In the same skillet, saute onions in 2 T. oil for 2 minute
- Add soy sauce, sugar, 3 cups water; simmer 15 minutes.
- Add mix of cornstarch and 1/2 cup water.
- Cook and stir 1-2 minutes until the sauce thickens.
- Slide the patties back into the sauce and allow to gently simmer at least 30 min., turning once, while preparing the rest of your meal.