Prep 5 mins
Cook 30 mins
A chicken curry served with oven-roasted potato straws (or cauliflower)
- 2 lbs chicken breasts, cut to 1-inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon cumin seed
- 5 curry leaves
- 2 onions, chopped
- 6 garlic cloves
- 1⁄2 inch ginger, peeled
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 1⁄2 teaspoon turmeric
- 4 green chilies (I use serrano or jalapeno with seeds, but you can take the seeds out if you don't like your food spi)
- 1 lb potato, cut into small straws
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Grind in a food processor or pound with a mortar and pestle: garlic, ginger, cinnamon, garam masala, turmeric, green chillis. They should form a paste.
- Heat oil in a pan. Add cumin seeds and curry leaves and fry until fragrant (1-2 minutes).
- Add the paste and fry for 1 minute.
- Add chicken and brown, cooking until ingredients are dry.
- Add water to cover the chicken, bring to a boil.
- Simmer, covered, until chicken is almost done.
- Uncover and simmer until sauce is thickened and chicken is tender.
- Meanwhile, drizzle the potatoes with the olive oil and oven-roast at 450 for 20-30 minutes.