Prep 5 mins
Cook 20 mins
Adapted from Time/Life Foods of the World. Posted for ZWT6.
- 4 medium potatoes, peeled and cut in 1/4-inch dice
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil
- 3⁄4 teaspoon cayenne
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cumin
- 1 tablespoon water
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon ground caraway
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- Cook potatoes in lightly salted boiling water until tender but still intact.
- Drain and return to pan.
- Cook over low heat until potatoes are dry, about 1 minute.
- Heat oil in a large, heavy skillet over medium heat until a light haze forms above it.
- Combine cayenne, cumin and water.
- Add cayenne mixture, lemon juice, caraway and salt to skillet.
- Cook, stirring constantly, until most of the liquid has evaporated.
- Remove from heat, add potatoes, and stir gently until evenly coated.
- Cool to room temperature before serving.
These were very good- although they are not for the "tender-tongued". My DD & I enjoy spicy and they ARE quite tasty so DH enjoyed too. The only thing I wish to point out is it DOES LOOK like sand on your potatoes.- doesn't taste that way though. We could not stop eating these. Thanks so much! made for ZWT6 and the Xtra Hot Dishes.