Recipe by chef FIFI
This recipe goes well with just about every middle eastern dish. Its very flavorful, one of my favorites. I make this at home, but I am not good at keeping measurements, so I snagged it off of the web and tweaked it, to the way I make it at home.*To spice it up you can also add chopped hot pepper to it as well*.
- 2 tomatoes (cut into small or medium cubes)
- 2 cucumbers (cut into small or medium cubes)
- 1 garlic clove (finely smash)
- 1 cup tahini
- 1 lemon, juice of
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 1 tablespoon dried mint
- olive oil (to garnish)
- hot serrano peppers (optional) or jalapeno pepper (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- *May need to adjust tahini and water levels to desired consistency*. Consistency should be creamy.
- Dice up tomatoes and cucumbers and combine them together in a medium bowl.
- Place garlic, hot pepper and salt in a mortar.
- Smash until mushed.
- Tahini dressing takes a bit of stirring to become creamy so, you can either add tahini,and water in a bowl by itself and mix or you can add to the same bowl with the cucumbers and tomatoes.
- Add lemon in increments to achieve desired tartness.
- Stir the dressing until smooth and creamy.
- combine everything including garlic/hot pepper together making sure you have added the mint.
- Take tbsp of dried mint, Place in hand and take other hand and rub together, this will sort of grind the mint up smaller and separate it from any stems.
- Place in the refrigerator for at least 20 minutes to allow the flavors to meld.
- Serve with a swirl of olive oil on top.