Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
This simple potato salad has nothing to do with the Orient. It's easy to make, needs few ingredients and can be safely taken to picnics because there is no mayo or eggs in it. I have sometimes used Wishbone Italian dressing in place of the oil/vinegar dressing. Good that way, too. The recipe is in most Romanian cookbooks but don't know if it started out life as an ethnic Romanian recipe. Have a feeling there's a little French in there...from a stripped down Salad Nicoise maybe?
- 2 1⁄2 lbs redskinned potatoes
- 1 medium red onion, sliced
- 1 green pepper, seeded and sliced into rings
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 2 tablespoons wine vinegar
- fresh ground black pepper
- black olives (to garnish)
- grape tomatoes (to garnish)
- Cook potatoes in their skins till done.
- Cool a little, then peel and slice in 1/8" slices and place in serving bowl.
- Add onion slices and green pepper rings.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Whisk oil and vinegar together and pour over potatoes. Mix gently.
- Garnish with olives, tomatoes if desired.
- Serve chilled or at room temperature.
- Makes about 4 servings.