This simple potato salad has nothing to do with the Orient. It's easy to make, needs few ingredients and can be safely taken to picnics because there is no mayo or eggs in it. I have sometimes used Wishbone Italian dressing in place of the oil/vinegar dressing. Good that way, too. The recipe is in most Romanian cookbooks but don't know if it started out life as an ethnic Romanian recipe. Have a feeling there's a little French in there...from a stripped down Salad Nicoise maybe?
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Cook potatoes in their skins till done.
- 2Cool a little, then peel and slice in 1/8" slices and place in serving bowl.
- 3Add onion slices and green pepper rings.
- 4Season with salt and pepper.
- 5Whisk oil and vinegar together and pour over potatoes. Mix gently.
- 6Garnish with olives, tomatoes if desired.
- 7Serve chilled or at room temperature.
- 8Makes about 4 servings.
Browse Our Top Potato Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Potato Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Salata Orientala
Serving Size: 1 (355 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 296.1
- Calories from Fat 64
- Total Fat 7.1 g
- Saturated Fat 1.1 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 18.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 53.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.1 g
- Sugars 4.1 g
- Protein 6.2 g