Prep 25 mins
Cook 40 mins
This is essential for any party in Romania. Serve it with sliced bread or crackers as part of a buffet. Be creative with garnishing. I like to use tomato roses and sliced hard boiled egg.
- 3 medium sized eggplants
- 1⁄4 cup sunflower oil
- 1 small onion, minced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1⁄2 cup mayonnaise
- salt and pepper
- chopped tomato, for garnish
- hard-boiled egg (to garnish)
- Poke the eggplants with a fork and roast them. You can either roast them in a 350 oven for about 40 minutes or cook them directly over a medium gas flame until the skins blister and char.
- Remove the skin from the eggplants, discard any bitter juices, and chop finely with a knife until it resembles a paste.
- In a large bowl combine the chopped eggplant with the oil, mayonnaise, onion and garlic, salt and pepper.
- Smooth the top and decorate creatively with veggies, pickles, hard boiled eggs -- .
This was amazing!!! Can't wait to try more Romanian recipes :-)