Prep 2 hrs
Cook 6 hrs
This tasty beef and potato salad makes a beautiful and delicious addition to a cold buffet. Although it does take some time to prepare, it is well worth the effort. A bonus is that you have a good beef broth that you can easily make into soup by adding vegetables and noodles.
- 2 -3 lbs boneless beef shank
- 3 large scraped carrots
- 1 large onion
- 3 celery ribs
- 6 whole peppercorns
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons salt
- 4 whole large peeled potatoes
- 3 quarts water
- 3 medium no-garlic dill pickles
- 3⁄4 cup frozen tiny peas, thawed
- 1 lemon, juice of
- yellow mustard
- vegetables, for garnishing
- Place beef shank, carrots, split parsley root, whole onion, celery, salt and peppercorns in soup pot.
- Add water and cook as you would for soup.
- When meat has cooked completely, remove pot from stove and strain into another pot.
- Discard onion and peppercorns.
- Remove meat and vegetables to large plate.
- Remove all visible fat and gristle from meat while it is still hot.
- Then cool completely and chill meat and veggies, preferably overnight.
- While these are cooling, cook the whole peeled potatoes in the soup stock until just done, taking care not to allow them to become mushy.
- Remove from soup and chill.
- When meat and vegetables are cold, cut all into small dice, no larger than 3/8".
- Place in mixing bowl.
- Finely chop dill pickles and add to meat mixture together with thawed peas.
- Squeeze lemon juice over all.
- Taste, and add salt if required. Add freshly ground black pepper to taste and mix well.
- Now add enough mayonnaise just to bind the ingredients together.
- Spoon out mixture onto oval serving platter and shape with back of spoon or spatula into oval shape about 2" thick.
- Mix a small amount of mustard into 1/2 cup mayonnaise to color it somewhat and frost the meat mixture with this.
- Decorate the salad with cut vegetables like slivers of green pepper, strips of wilted chives, slivered olives, or simply with fluffs of parsley.
- Chill till serving time.