Recipe by MommyKat
My mother used to make this most every Russian Orthodox Easter for the feast that typically follows midnight mass. I think she got it from my Baba (grandmother), so it's definitely authentic.
Top Review by cococy
I love this recipe! have made it each Easter since finding it. It does make alot, so we enjoy sharing it with friends at Pascha (Russian Easter). After fasting from meat and dairy during Great Lent, this really satisfies!
- 4 medium potatoes, cooked and 1/2-inch diced
- 2 1⁄2 hard-boiled eggs, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 lbs ham, 1/2-inch dice
- 1 medium cucumber, peeled, quartered and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 2 -3 large apples, sweet, cored and cut into 1/4-inch pieces, coated with
- 2 -3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons green olives, chopped, pitted
- 1⁄4 cup celery, finely diced
- 3⁄4 cup peas
- 5 -6 cups water
- 1 large onion, studded with
- 2 cloves
- 2 stalks celery & leaves, coarsely chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 carrot, coarsely chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon thyme
- 3 whole chicken breasts (approx. 3 lbs)
- 1 1⁄2 cups mayonnaise
- 2⁄3-1 cup sour cream
- 3 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1⁄2 cup dill pickle, small cubed
- 1 -1 1⁄2 tablespoon onion, grated
- 2 tablespoons capers
- 3 tablespoons dill, minced
- 3 small-medium tomatoes, cut into wedges
- 2 1⁄2 hard-boiled eggs, sliced
Directions See How It's Made
- Boil the potatoes, let cool, and cut into 1/2-inch dice.
- Boil the eggs, let cool, and coarsely chop.
- To prepare the chicken, combine ingredients water through thyme, and bring to a boil. Lower heat and simmer, covered, for 10-15 minutes.
- Add chicken breasts. Bring to a boil and lower heat. Simmer, covered, for 20-30 minutes. Cool breasts in the broth.
- While chicken is cooking, combine potatoes, eggs, and remaining salad ingredients in a large bowl.
- When chicken has cooled, drain the chicken (discard or save broth, as desired). Remove skin, bones and any gristle. Cut chicken into neat 1/2 to 3/4 inch pieces.
- In a medium bowl, combine all dressing ingredients. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Combine chicken, salad ingredients, and dressing. (All ingredients should be at room temperature).
- Place chicken salad in a large serving bowl. Decorate with tomato wedges and egg slices. Sprinkle with dill.
- Serve cool, but not chilled.