Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
My mother used to make this most every Russian Orthodox Easter for the feast that typically follows midnight mass. I think she got it from my Baba (grandmother), so it's definitely authentic.
- 4 medium potatoes, cooked and 1/2-inch diced
- 2 1⁄2 hard-boiled eggs, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 lbs ham, 1/2-inch dice
- 1 medium cucumber, peeled, quartered and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 2 -3 large apples, sweet, cored and cut into 1/4-inch pieces, coated with
- 2 -3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons green olives, chopped, pitted
- 1⁄4 cup celery, finely diced
- 3⁄4 cup peas
- 5 -6 cups water
- 1 large onion, studded with
- 2 cloves
- 2 stalks celery & leaves, coarsely chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 carrot, coarsely chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon thyme
- 3 whole chicken breasts (approx. 3 lbs)
- 1 1⁄2 cups mayonnaise
- 2⁄3-1 cup sour cream
- 3 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1⁄2 cup dill pickle, small cubed
- 1 -1 1⁄2 tablespoon onion, grated
- 2 tablespoons capers
- 3 tablespoons dill, minced
- 3 small-medium tomatoes, cut into wedges
- 2 1⁄2 hard-boiled eggs, sliced
- Boil the potatoes, let cool, and cut into 1/2-inch dice.
- Boil the eggs, let cool, and coarsely chop.
- To prepare the chicken, combine ingredients water through thyme, and bring to a boil. Lower heat and simmer, covered, for 10-15 minutes.
- Add chicken breasts. Bring to a boil and lower heat. Simmer, covered, for 20-30 minutes. Cool breasts in the broth.
- While chicken is cooking, combine potatoes, eggs, and remaining salad ingredients in a large bowl.
- When chicken has cooled, drain the chicken (discard or save broth, as desired). Remove skin, bones and any gristle. Cut chicken into neat 1/2 to 3/4 inch pieces.
- In a medium bowl, combine all dressing ingredients. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Combine chicken, salad ingredients, and dressing. (All ingredients should be at room temperature).
- Place chicken salad in a large serving bowl. Decorate with tomato wedges and egg slices. Sprinkle with dill.
- Serve cool, but not chilled.