1/12 Photos of Salapow, Steam Buns, Dia Bao, or Dim Sum
1 hr 15 mins
Supa has made this for us many times. This time I wrote it all down and took lots of pictures. Supa is a great cook, and most wonderful Daughter-in-law. She doesn't usually measure, so I weighed and stuck the measuring spoons under her ingredients as she tossed them into the bowl. It flowed for both of us, and the results were just mouth watering. I love to watch her hands move.Supa made this on the 2008 annual trip from San Antonio to Staunton. This was one of the many things we had for dinner their last night here.
My Private Note
Steam B ...
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/2 lbs pork (chopped fine, or ground pork)
- 2 teaspoons fresh ginger (grated)
- 20 ounces water chestnuts (a 1 pound 4 ounce can, Supa says, except for fresh, bamboo shoots are too strong)
- 1 large onion (chopped)
- 4 tablespoons oyster sauce
- 1 teaspoon pepper (freshly ground)
- 5 garlic cloves (chopped)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 tablespoon sweet soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon light soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon sesame seed oil
- 1Mix filling ingredients in a large bowl.
- 2Transfer to covered container and refrigerate while making the buns.
- 3Cut wax paper into 24 - 3" squares.
- 4Put bottom of water filled steamer over high heat and cover.
- 5Put 2 packages of mix in bowl and add sugar.
- 7Add flour and oil, and mix with hands in bowl, adding any additional flour as needed to keep from being too sticky.
- 8Knead in bowl 10 minutes.
- 9Cover and let rest 10 minutes.
- 10Knead again for 5 minutes.
- 11Pinch off golf ball sized pieces of dough, and flatten into 4" rounds.
- 12Put generous spoonful of filling in center and pinch to close.
- 13Place on wax paper squares and put in steamer trays.
- 14Put trays on top of steamer bottom, adjust heat, cover, and steam for 15-20 minutes.
- 15Serve in individual steamer baskets (if you are so fortunate to have them) or on platter.
Browse Our Top Rolls/Biscuits Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Rolls/Biscuits Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Salapow, Steam Buns, Dia Bao, or Dim Sum
Serving Size: 1 (133 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 24
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 293.5
- Calories from Fat 50
- Total Fat 5.6 g
- Saturated Fat 1.7 g
- Cholesterol 27.2 mg
- Sodium 300.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 46.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.9 g
- Sugars 10.3 g
- Protein 13.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
sweet soy sauce