Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
Crostata di Salame, Salsiccia, e Mozzarella
- 1 refrigerated pie crust
- 8 ounces italian sweet sausages, casings removed
- 3⁄4 cup coarsely grated mozzarella cheese (about 3 ounces)
- 2⁄3 cup diced italian salami (such as Genoa)
- 1⁄2 cup grated parmigiano
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh basil
- 4 large eggs
- 1⁄2 cup whole milk
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Prepare the Crust:
- Preheat oven to 425°F
- Unfold crust on work surface.
- Press together any cracks in dough to seal crust.
- Place crust in 9-inch-diameter tart pan with removable bottom; fold in excess dough and press, forming double-thick sides that extend about 1/4 inch above rim of pan.
- Pierce crust with fork.
- Bake crust 5 minutes; press with back of fork if crust bubbles up.
- Continue to bake until crust is golden brown, about 10 minutes. Set aside.
- Prepare the Filling:
- Reduce oven temperature to 400°F
- Meanwhile, saute sausages in heavy medium skillet over medium-high heat until brown, breaking into small pieces with back of fork, about 6 minutes.
- Using slotted spoon, transfer sausage to large bowl; cool.
- Add mozzarella, salami, Parmigiano cheese, and basil.
- Toss sausage mixture to blend.
- Spoon sausage mixture into prepared crust.
- Beat eggs, milk, and nutmeg in medium bowl to blend; season with pepper.
- Pour custard over sausage mixture in crust.
- Bake tart until filling is set in center and golden brown on top, about 30 minutes.
- Let cool 10 minutes and serve. Makes 8 (appetizer) servings.
- That's it!
This is very tasty despite the trouble I had with the store bought crust. I ended up just baking the filling without the pastry. Next time I will make my own dough, as I should have from the beginning. Just wanted to follow the recipe as written. Made for New Kids on the Block Tag game. :)