Toby Jermain's Note:
This recipe is from an engineer (and friend) who worked for me up in Alaska about 25 years ago. Wait until your local supermarket has their family-pack CHEAP hamburger on sale to make this. You really do not want to use the good stuff; the fatter the better for best final flavor and texture.
My Private Note
1lb loa ...
Units: US | Metric
- 4 lbs cheap ground beef (don’t bother with the lean stuff; you need all that fat)
- 2 teaspoons black pepper, cracked or very coarsely ground (1/2 Tsp/lb)
- 2 teaspoons mustard seeds (1/2 Tsp/lb)
- 1 teaspoon garlic granules (1/4 Tsp/lb, or more to taste)
- 4 teaspoons Morton Tender Quick salt (1 Tsp/lb, Morton's Tender-Quick is a curing salt that contains nitrates to cure the meat.)
- 2 teaspoons hickory smoke salt (1/2 Tsp/lb, or 2 Tsp liquid smoke, plus 2 Tsp salt 1/2 Tsp/lb of each)
- cayenne pepper or crushed red pepper flakes, to taste if a spicier sausage is desired (optional)
- 1Mix all ingredients well, and refrigerate for 24 hours.
- 2Mix again, and refrigerate for another 24 hours, and repeat one more timel mixture should cure in refrigerator for a total of 3 days.
- 3Form into 3 long sausages, and place on a broiler rack above a drain pan.
- 4A wire rack over a foil lined cookie sheet works fine.
- 5Bake at 150-175degF for 8-10 hours.
- 6Remove grease from drain pan if too much accumulates.
- 7If meat is not browned, firm, and crusty after 8 hours, continue to bake until it is.
- 8Cool loaves to room temperature, wrap well, and freeze until needed.
- 9To serve, thaw, and slice very thinly with a sharp knife.
- 10Sausage casing is not needed, since the loaves form a crust while cooking.
- 11Note: Since many oven thermostats are inaccurate at low temperature settings, use an oven thermometer to make sure oven is hot enough to properly cook the meat.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Salami Loaf
Serving Size: 1 (1828 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1317.3
- Calories from Fat 822
- Total Fat 91.4 g
- Saturated Fat 35.5 g
- Cholesterol 411.2 mg
- Sodium 400.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 2.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.7 g
- Sugars 0.3 g
- Protein 113.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
Morton Tender Quick salt
hickory smoke salt