From the cookbook International Vegetarian Cooking. This is a warm salad from the Provence region of France. Interesting combination of sweet, tangy, and salty ingredients. In the summer I might be inclined to add fresh basil; another addition might be capers. The gears are in motion... My knowledge of French cuisine is seriously lacking, so I think I'll gradually ease into it and approach it simply, beginning with wine, followed by salads, then work my way up.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 cups frisee, washed and drained well
- 4 small red bell peppers
- 1/2 lb soft fresh goat cheese (such as chevre or banon, for example)
- 6 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (the best quality you can find)
- 3 tablespoons raisins
- 3 tablespoons pine nuts
- 1 1/2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- freshly grated black pepper (my addition)
- 1NOTE: original recipe called for green bell peppers, but I prefer red bell peppers as I think they make a prettier presentation. Substitute if you wish. I also cut back on the olive oil by 2 tablespoons.
- 2Preheat oven to BROIL.
- 3Broil the bell peppers until well charred. Place in paper bag and "sweat" for 25 minutes. Once cooled, peel, seed and remove membranes.
- 4Cut the goat cheese into 4 thick slices and place in a warm, not hot, oven at approximately 150 degrees.
- 5Heat the olive oil in a pan and lightly saute the raisins until they just begin to sizzle and plump up and the pine nuts begin to turn golden. Stir in the balsamic vinegar then remove pan from heat.
- 6On 4 separate salad plates, divide and arrange the frisee and prepared bell peppers. Add the warmed cheese and spoon the olive oil mixture over the top.
- 7Serve immediately.
Browse Our Top Peppers Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Peppers Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Salade Ventoux En Frisee
Serving Size: 1 (235 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 426.6
- Calories from Fat 331
- Total Fat 36.8 g
- Saturated Fat 11.4 g
- Cholesterol 26.1 mg
- Sodium 213.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 14.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.0 g
- Sugars 8.2 g
- Protein 12.9 g