Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
warm frisee, bacon and poached egg salad from the rocky mountain news
- 2 heads frisee, trimmed washed and torn
- 8 ounces bacon (uncured applewood smoked)
- 1 tablespoon bacon fat
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 4 tablespoons onions, finely diced
- 3 large fresh garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- 4 large eggs
- in a large bowl layer paper towel on the bottom and put in washed greens cover and chill allowing frisee to drain.
- cut raw bacon into bite size pieces and cook over medium heat to render all fat.
- when bacon is crispy remove with slotted spoon reserve only a tablespoon of fat and reduce heat under fat to medium low.
- spread bacon out on paper towel to keep crispy.
- fill a medium saute pan with at least an 1 1/2 of water bring to a boil then reduce to simmer.
- add olive oil to pan of bacon fat.
- saute onion till translucent.
- add garlic and cook till soft then remove from heat.
- place equal portions of frisee in 4 salad bowls and creat a nest in the middle.
- stir vinegar, mustard, cayenne, salt and pepper into onion and garlic bacon fat saute and mix well.
- pour dressing evenly over frisee bowls.
- salt the simmering water.
- quickly crack each egg into the water and poach for 3-4 minutes.
- while eggs are cooking sprinkle bacon pieces onto salad bowls.
- suaing a slotted spoon place a hot egg on top of each salad.
- season with salt and pepper to taste.