Prep 10 mins
Cook 0 mins
I learned to make this salad thirty years ago from my mother-in-law, who was born and raised in Paris. This is the best salad/dressing I've ever tasted and is always requested by friends and family.
- 1 large bunch of variety leaf lettuce
- 3 shallots (minced)
- 3 garlic cloves (minced, or 1/2 tsp garlic powder)
- 3 tablespoons tarragon vinegar
- 4 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- pepper (to taste)
- Rinse and spin-dry lettuce, set aside.
- In large bowl, mix remaining ingredients. Add lettuce on top and place in refrigerator.
- Toss well before serving and top with croutons and/or cheese sprinkles, if desired.
- A few tips: You may want to add more or less salt, depending on how much lettuce you are using.
- You can also use 1/4 chopped onion in place of the shallots - shallots have a milder, sweeter taste that truly compliments the dressing but vidalia or purple onion would be a good substitute.
- You can also add radishes, chopped kale, and raw spinach greens to the lettuce before tossing.
This IS a terrific dressing! Used a sweet onion and added spinach greens to the lettuce. Didn't have tarragon vinegar, so used 1 tbsp dried tarragon and white wine vinegar. Thanks for posting.