Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
Very tasty salad that comes across as "fancy". Easy enough for everyday but good enough to impress company. Men really like this one!
- 4 slices bacon, diced
- 5 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 garlic cloves, halved
- 1 cup French bread cubes
- 1 head curly endive lettuce, torn into bite-sized pieces
- 1 1⁄2 ounces Roquefort cheese, crumbled
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh chervil (or parsley)
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon sherry wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh tarragon
- fresh ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- Fry bacon in heavy, medium skillet over medium high heat until crisp.
- Remove using slotted spoon and drain on paper towels.
- Pour off all but 1 tbs fat from skillet.
- Add oil and garlic and cook over medium high heat until garlic starts to color.
- Remove and reserve garlic.
- Add bread cubes to skillet and fry on all sides until golden brown.
- Remove, using slotted spoon and drain on paper towels.
- Rub croutons on all sides with reserved garlic.
- For vinegrette, blend lemon juice, vinegar, tarragon, salt and pepper in a small bowl.
- Whisk in oils in a thin stream.
- Toss endive with the vinegrette in a large bowl.
- Add bacon, croutons and cheese and mix gently.
- Srpinkle with chervil.
- Serve immediately.