From "The Splendid Table" by Lynne Rossetto Kasper, this is a favorite in my house. Its very easy to make but impressive to serve for company. Try using different greens. The dressing can be made in advance and kept at room temp for up to a few hours. This is great for a light main dish as well as a salad course. Serve with a good bread to sop up the dressing.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 medium red onion, sliced into rings
- 1 small romaine lettuce
- 1 small radicchio
- 1 small red leaf lettuce
- 1 small curly endive lettuce
- 1/2 cup pignoli nuts or 1/2 cup pine nuts, toasted
- 4 scallions, thinly sliced
- 3 ounces parmigiano-reggiano cheese, shaved with a vegetable peeler into thin strips
- 8 ounces prosciutto di Parma, cut into bite size pieces
- 4 -6 garlic cloves, smashed and peeled
- 2/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 3 -6 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon dark brown sugar
- salt and pepper
- 1Assemble the salad by washing, drying and tearing the lettuce and tossing together with the onions, pignoli, scallions, cheese, and prosciutto.
- 2In a medium skillet slowly cook the garlic in the olive oil until soft and barely colored.
- 3Remove the garlic with a slotted spoon and discard.
- 4Turn the heat to medium high and add the vinegars to the oil.
- 5Cook a few minutes then add the brown sugar and cook until dissolved.
- 6Toss the hot dressing with the salad and season with salt and pepper.
Browse Our Top European Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All European Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Salad With Prosciutto & Warm Balsamic Dressing
Serving Size: 1 (190 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 395.7
- Calories from Fat 324
- Total Fat 36.0 g
- Saturated Fat 6.4 g
- Cholesterol 10.2 mg
- Sodium 267.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 12.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.6 g
- Sugars 5.1 g
- Protein 9.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
curly endive lettuce
prosciutto di Parma