Prep 30 mins
Cook 0 mins
We enjoyed this salad which I adapted from Bon Appetit (November 2008)
Make and share this Salad With Fruit and Cheese recipe from Food.com.
- 1⁄3 cup oil
- 1 lemon, juice of, only
- 1 1⁄2 cups red grapes
- 1⁄2 cup dried tart cherry
- 5 ounces salad greens
- 2 bosc pears, cored and cut into matchstick pieces
- 1⁄2 cup pine nuts, toasted
- 4 ounces pecorino romano cheese, cut into matchstick pieces
- In a measuring cup or small bowl place cherries and cover with hot water. Let sit for about 15 minutes and drain well.
- In a jar or bowl combine dressing ingredients (oil and lemon juice), whisk or shake well and set aside.
- In a large salad bowl combine remaining ingredients (grapes - pears), toss well with dressing and then add pine nuts and cheese. Toss again.
We felt the balance of flavors were off a bit in this salad with the combination of
tart cherries and the tart lemon dressing. Lemon was the overpowering flavor unfortunately and we couldn't taste much else. Hazelnuts replaced pine nuts as the latter are hovering around 20-30 dollars a pound here. I would make this again but balance out the flavors-but how I don't know (yet). Reviewed for Veg Tag October.
Lovely grouping of flavors. We found the dressing too bland, so we simply dumped on a bit of Italian dressing and we were good to go. Love the sweet pear with the tart cherry with the salty cheese. THANKS for sharing!
I enjoyed this salad as a switch-up to my normal salad with lots of veggies. I used feta cheese crumbles in place of the pecorino cheese and also slivered almonds in place of the pine nuts as they are very expensive around here. A lovely combination of sweet/tart goodness. Made for Veg-n-Swap~