From the December 2004 issue of Cook's Illustrated Magazine. A salad for bleu cheese lovers. Makes a great company salad for special occasions. For the olive oil I substituted 2 tablespoons of hazelnut oil plus 1 tablespoon of bland oil. A mouthwatering taste of tangy, sweet and tart. Try different types of bleu cheese for variety and personal preference.
- 1 tablespoon good quality honey
- 3 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (OR 2 tablespoons hazelnut oil plus 1 tablespoon bland oil, such as canola)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 sweet red apple, such as braeburn or fuji, cored and sliced thinly (about 2 cups)
- 2 stalks crisp celery, sliced very thinly on bias (approximately 1 1/2-2 cups)
- 1 head red leaf lettuce (or combination of green leaf lettuce and mezclun,washed,dried and torn into bite-size pieces, about) or 1 head green leaf lettuce (or combination of green leaf lettuce and mezclun,washed,dried and torn into bite-size pieces, about)
- 1⁄4 cup loosely packed torn fresh parsley leaves
- 1 medium red onion, sliced into crescents (optional)
- 1⁄2 cup hazelnuts, toasted lightly until fragrant, skinned and chopped finely
- 6 ounces Roquefort cheese, crumbled (about 1 1/2 cups)
- Whisk honey, vinegar, oil, salt, and pepper in small, non-reactive bowl until combined.
- In medium bowl, toss apple and celery with 2 tablespoons vinaigrette, let stand 5 minutes.
- Toss lettuce, parsley, onions if using and remaining vinaigrette in large bowl; adjust seasoning with salt and pepper.
- Divide greens among individual plates; top each with portion of apple/celery mixture, hazelnuts, and Roquefort.
- Serve immediately.
The vinaigrette is fresh-tasting. The salad is crisp and crunchy and tart and sweet. The blue cheese (I used a Danish Blue) provided a hit of salty goodness. LOVED IT!
I served this as a side salad with our Scandanavian Christmas Eve Smorgaasbord. I cut the recipe in half and would recommend adding some extra apple. I used Bleu Cheese - it worked