Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
I created this salad out of ingredients I had on hand. It turned out to be a winner. I hope you enjoy it too. Ingredient amounts can be increased or decreased to your liking. This salad can also be topped with a raspberry vinaigrette, if you prefer something sweeter. Prep & Cooking time is time to make the dressing and salad.
- 3 cups mixed spring greens, torn if necessary
- 1 cup romaine lettuce, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1⁄2 granny smith apple, with peels cored, sliced thin, cut into thirds
- 1⁄4 cup dried cherries
- 1⁄8 cup sliced almonds
- 1⁄4 red onion, sliced thin, if too strong slice and soak in a bowl of ice water for 5 minutes
- 1⁄2 cup crumbled blue cheese
- 1⁄3 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 -2 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 pinch sugar
- Make the vinaigrette by combining all the ingredients in a well sealed container and shake well to combine. Adjust seasonings. *I use 2 T Dijon because I like the flavor. You can start with 1 T and add more after a taste test.
- This salad can be plated or made in a large serving bowl.
- Prepare the lettuce leaves. I like to make sure they are not too big to eat gracefully, so I cut or tear them.
- Prepare granny smith apple. Core and slice thin, then cut each slice into 3rds.
- Slice red onion very thin and cut each slice into 3rds. If the onion is too strong, prepare a ice water bath and soak the slices for 5 minutes, drain well.
- Combine salad ingredients in a serving bowl or arrange on individual plates: Place lettuces arranging the apple slices, onions, dried cherries almonds, and top with the crumbled blue cheese.
- Drizzle with Vinaigrette.