Prep 20 mins
Cook 15 mins
A fun salad idea and can imagine Mexican grilled chicken would be a good substitute. The success of these types salads are in the meats being warm served with the crunchy, cold greens. Try using a mason jar for individual servings.
- 1 lb ground beef (95% lean)
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- iceberg lettuce (10 - 12 ounces lettuce, red cabbage, carrots) or romaine mixed salad green (10 - 12 ounces lettuce, red cabbage, carrots)
- 1 cup diced tomato
- 1⁄2 cup canned black beans, rinsed, drained
- 1⁄2 cup frozen corn, defrosted, drained
- 1⁄2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1⁄2 cup prepared ranch dressing
- 1⁄4-1⁄3 cup crunchy corn tortilla strips (see instructions below for strips) or 1⁄4-1⁄3 cup crushed baked corn tortilla chips (see instructions below for strips)
- Brown ground beef with garlic in large nonstick skillet over medium heat 8 to 10 minutes, breaking beef up into 1/2-inch crumbles. Pour off drippings, if necessary. Stir in water, chili powder, cumin and salt; cook and stir 1 minute to blend flavors. Cool slightly.
- Place salad mix, beef, tomato, beans, corn and cheese, if desired, in large bowl with lid. Top with dressing; close lid securely or cover bowl tightly with plastic wrap. Shake gently to combine. Top with tortilla strips, if desired.
- To make single servings, place 1-1/2 cups salad mix, about 2/3 cup beef mixture, 1/4 cup tomato, 2 tablespoons beans, 2 tablespoons corn and 2 tablespoons cheese, if desired, in small bowl with lid. Top with 2 tablespoons dressing; close lid securely. Shake gently to combine. Top with tortilla strips, if desired.
- Crunchy Tortilla Strips: Cut 2 corn tortillas in half, then crosswise into ¼-inch-wide strips. Place strips in single layer on baking sheet. Spray tortilla strips lightly with nonstick cooking spray. Bake 4 to 8 minutes at 400ºF or until crisp.