koala girl's Note:
This is so simple to make and very more-ish. I found it in an old book of my mum's, years ago and have loved it ever since. It's a wonderful comfort food, even though it doesn't have anything *bad* in it. You can eat it warm or cold but I think it tastes better cold. One last thing, the recipe only calls for a tiny bit of salt, black pepper and cayenne but I always add slightly more (not having the most refined palate lol).
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Trim courgettes and grate coarsely. Put them in a bowl and sprinkle with 1/2 tsp salt. toss to mix and set aside for half an hour. Drain the courgette and press out as much liquid as you can. Separate the shreds so you do not have lumps.
- 2Peel the onion, cut in half lengthwise, then cut into fine, half-moon shaped slices.
- 3Put the yogurt in a bowl. Beat it lightly with a fork or whisk until it is smooth and creamy.
- 4Heat the oil in an 8inch frying pan over a medium heat. When hot, put in the mustard seeds. As soon as the mustard seeds start to pop (just a few seconds), put in the onion. Stir and fry it for about 2 mins or until the slices are translucent.
- 5Add the courgette. Stir and fry for another 2 minutes. turn off the heat and let the courgette cool slightly. When cooled, fold it into the yogurt. Add the remaining 1/4 tsp salt, pepper and cayenne.
- 6If you wish to eat the dish cold, cover and refrigerate it. If you wish to eat it warm, put the mixture in a double boiler over a low heat. Then stir in one direction until warm - do not allow to boil.
Browse Our Top Eggs/Dairy Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Eggs/Dairy Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Salad of Yogurt and Courgettes
Serving Size: 1 (229 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 176.5
- Calories from Fat 123
- Total Fat 13.7 g
- Saturated Fat 3.3 g
- Cholesterol 11.9 mg
- Sodium 487.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 10.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.5 g
- Sugars 7.9 g
- Protein 4.8 g