Recipe by Mia in Germany
Found this in a German organic food magazin called "Schrot und Korn". I haven't tried this yet, posting for safe-keeping. If you don't find white asparagus, you can use green only, of course.
- 1 cup rhubarb, diced
- 4 tablespoons honey
- 1 spring onion
- 2 oranges
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 teaspoon ginger, minced
- 1 chili, red
- 1 tablespoon vinegar, raspberry
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper, whole
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fennel seed
- 1 lb asparagus, white
- 1 lb asparagus, green
- 1 dash salt
- 1 dash brown sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- For the dressing:.
- Combine diced rhubarb with 2 tablespoons of the honey, let stand.
- Finely slice spring onion.
- Grate peel of one orange, juice both oranges.
- Finely chop chili, ginger and garlic.
- Grind kosher salt, pepper and fennel seeds in a mortar.
- Combine orange juice, chili, ginger, garlic and half of the rhubarb, bring to a boil and let simmer until half of the liquid is evaporated and the rhubarb has broken down.
- Add remaining rhubarb, spring onion, orange peel, raspberry vinegar, canola oil and grated spices.
- Let stand on the warm stove, but don't boil!
- For the salad:.
- Peel white asparagus if using it.
- Cut white and green asparagus diagonally into 2 inch pieces.
- Bring 1/2 cup water with one dash salt and one dash brown sugar to a boil, add asparagus and boil for 5 minutes.
- Remove from liquid and let liquid boil until reduced to one half, then add to vinaigrette.
- Combine asparagus and vinaigrette and serve warm.