Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
A great combination of flavours and textures in a salad that not only tastes good, but looks so pretty!
- 1⁄4 cup walnut pieces
- 1 head romaine lettuce, rinsed and torn into 1 inch pieces
- 1⁄2 bunch watercress, stems trimmed,rinsed
- 6 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 large red apple, cored
- 1⁄2 large granny smith apple, cored
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1⁄2 cup crumbled Stilton cheese, about (a good quality blue cheese may be substituted)
- Heat oven to 350F (175C).
- Toast walnuts for 10 minutes and cool to room temperature.
- Combine romaine and watercress in a large bowl.
- Whisk oil, vinegar and salt and pepper in a small bowl until blended.
- Slice each apple half into 12 thin wedges; brush lightly with lemon juice to prevent discolouration.
- When ready to serve: Toss salad greens with dressing to coat.
- Arrange greens on 4 salad plates, arrange 6 apple wedges, alternating red and green skins, around the rim of each plate.
- Sprinkle cheese evenly over salads; sprinkle walnuts evenly over cheese.
- Serve immediately.
Yep, I was right. This is a wonderful and special salad. The crunchy roasted walnuts, the juicy crisp apples and the creamy, pungent cheese all combine into taste bud heaven. Even the watercress adds another subtle bitter component to add to the enjoyment of this great salad. I went with a whim as I made the dressing, and used raspberry vinegar to bring out the fruit flavor. This recipe will be bumped up to my top 10 salads. Evelyn/athens, your recipes are terrific.
A great combination! I used arugula instead of watercress, but otherwise followed the recipe. Whichever apples you go with, I think they should be sweet rather than tart, as the appley sweetness balances the blue cheese so beautifully. Add toasted walnuts... perfect!! Thank you Evelyn!
Excellent! I modified a bit..I left out the red apples and watercress (didnt have any on hand) and added chopped leftover chicken breasts. I served tossed with a nice Mesculin salad mix rather than individually arranged. Everyone loved it! Thanks Evelyn in Athens!