Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
A great combination of flavours and textures in a salad that not only tastes good, but looks so pretty!
- 1⁄4 cup walnut pieces
- 1 head romaine lettuce, rinsed and torn into 1 inch pieces
- 1⁄2 bunch watercress, stems trimmed,rinsed
- 6 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 large red apple, cored
- 1⁄2 large granny smith apple, cored
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1⁄2 cup crumbled Stilton cheese, about (a good quality blue cheese may be substituted)
- Heat oven to 350F (175C).
- Toast walnuts for 10 minutes and cool to room temperature.
- Combine romaine and watercress in a large bowl.
- Whisk oil, vinegar and salt and pepper in a small bowl until blended.
- Slice each apple half into 12 thin wedges; brush lightly with lemon juice to prevent discolouration.
- When ready to serve: Toss salad greens with dressing to coat.
- Arrange greens on 4 salad plates, arrange 6 apple wedges, alternating red and green skins, around the rim of each plate.
- Sprinkle cheese evenly over salads; sprinkle walnuts evenly over cheese.
- Serve immediately.