Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
- 1⁄2 lb green beans, stem ends snipped, sliced into 2-inch pieces
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen baby lima beans, thawed
- 2 carrots, sliced on the diagonal
- 1 (15 ounce) can chickpeas, well drained
- 2 celery ribs, diced
- 1⁄2 large red onion, sliced in half and then crosswise, pulled into paper-thin slices
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1 -2 lemon, halved
- 1⁄3-1⁄2 cup finely chopped flat leaf parsley
- 1 -3 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- Bring 1 ½ inches water to a boil in a pan over medium heat; place a steaming basket over the boiling water and add the green beans.
- Cover and steam until the beans are still crisp-tender with a little bite, but have lost all rawness (if the beans are slim and tender, this should be 3-4 minutes; fatter beans can take 10-12 minutes).
- Remove steamer from the pot, reserving the steaming water; rinse the green beans under cold water; drain well, transfer beans to a bowl.
- Repeat the same process with the lima beans over the same water, steaming for about 10 minutes; once they are cooked, rinse with cold water, drain, and combine with the green beans.
- Repeat the same process with the carrots, again using the same steaming water, steaming for 1 minute; rinse, drain, and add to the beans in the bowl.
- Leaving the cover off the steaming pot, remove the steamer, and raise the heat to a hard boil; cook to reduce the steaming liquid to 1 tablespoon or less (6-8 minutes); watch closely so you don’t scorch the liquid.
- While the steaming liquid is reducing add the chickpeas, celery, and red onion to the bean mixture, along with salt and pepper to taste.
- Squeeze the first lemon into the salad through a strainer (to catch the seeds); if it’s not very juicy, squeeze in the juice of the second lemon.
- Stir in the mixed parsley and the oil.
- Add the reduced steaming liquid and stir to blend.
- Refrigerate for at least 2 hours; overnight is better.
- Before serving, bring to room temperature, taste, and if necessary, reseason.