Recipe by Member #610488
Mechouia is a Tunisian summer salad made with tomatoes and peppers. Salad Mechouia is often prepared in two versions; hot and mild, depending on the pepper taste. For those who like it hot, Salad Mechouia made spicy is a perfect accompaniment to lamb or grilled fish. Usually the mild Salad Mechouia is consumed as an appetizer or served with high quality tuna, olives and eggs as an aperitif, spread on grilled toasts or as an accompaniment to baked or fried fish or grilled pork or chicken.
- 4 large garlic cloves, unpeeled
- 4 plum tomatoes
- 2 small onions, whole and unpeeled
- 2 large red bell peppers
- 1 large poblano chile
- 1 small eggplant
- 1⁄4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- fresh lemon juice, to taste
- kosher salt & freshly ground black pepper, to taste
Directions See How It's Made
- Prepare a grill to medium-high heat.
- Thread garlic cloves onto a metal skewer. Put garlic skewer, tomatoes, onions, peppers, chile, and eggplant on grill rack. Grill, turning occasionally, until tender and lightly charred all over, 6-7 minutes for garlic and tomatoes; 10 minutes for eggplant; 15 minutes for peppers and chile; 20 minutes for onions.
- Place peppers and chile in a large bowl; cover with plastic wrap and let stand 15 minutes.
- Coarsely chop tomatoes and eggplant. Peel and coarsely chop onions. Peel garlic cloves. Peel, seed, and coarsely chop peppers and chile.
- Place all vegetables in a food processor, along with oil, pulsing until pureed to desired consistency. Transfer to a large bowl. Season to taste with lemon juice, salt, and pepper.