Prep 5 mins
Cook 25 mins
- 2 Belgian endive, washed,patted dry and sliced crosswise into little rings
- 1 head chicory lettuce, washed and torn
- 6 tablespoons walnut oil
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- salt and pepper
- 4 ounces thickly sliced Canadian bacon, cut into chunks
- 4 slices French bread (thin slices)
- Put the endive and chicory lettuce in a large bowl.
- put the rounds of french bread (cut into quarters) in the over to toast, saute the Canadian bacon in a small frying pan in the walnut oil till crispy on the outside (in Belgium they used smoked pork belly) then scatter the bacon on the salad.
- Turn off the flame under the frypan, deglaze the pan with the vinegar, pour the warm vinaigrette over the salad, add in the croutons and toss gently.
- Serve with more french bread, a bit of cheese, and Saison Dupont.