Prep 20 mins
Cook 0 mins
This is a nostalgia salad, circa 1936. Actress Ann Dvorak served this salad to guests at her ranch in the Encino Community of Los Angeles. This simple salad is typical of that era. The recipe is adapted from the book: "What Actors Eat...When they Eat" by Rex Lease. I located the book at the Los Angeles Public Library in their rare book collection.
- 1 garlic clove
- 1⁄2 cucumber, peeled and diced
- 1⁄2 onion, diced
- 1⁄2 green bell pepper, diced
- 3 sweet gherkins, diced
- 1 tomatoes, diced
- 1⁄2 red bell pepper, sliced
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 tablespoons vinegar
- salt and pepper
- Rub a wooden salad bowl with the garlic.
- Add the cucumber, onion, green pepper, sweet gherkin and tomato to the bowl and mix.
- Mix the dressing ingredients and combine with the vegetables.
- Garnish with the red bell pepper slices.
5 Stars! Very fresh taste, like a salsa. Used canned diced tomatoes (drained) because out of season. Perfect side for grilled steaks, could add cooked pasta or chickpeas for a variation. Stayed true to the recipe, and was surprized how good it tasted with apple cider vinegar. Made for My 3 Chefs Spring 2008.