Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 10 mins
Cook 35 mins
This recipe has been in my family forever. I grew up on it and has always been my favorite. It came from the time when eggs were not readily available. People are put off by the idea of "salad dressing" or Miracle Whip in a cake, but it is so moist and delicious! I tend to make this in two 9" round pans.
- Stir sugar and cocoa together.
- Add salad dressing and mix well.
- Dissolve soda in warm water.
- Alternate water (with soda) with flour into cream mixture.
- Mix well.
- Add vanilla.
- Bake 350 degrees for 30-35 minutes.
- Boil 4 T flour and 1 C milk to thin paste. Cool to lukewarm.
- Cream together:.
- 1 C shortening
- 1 C sugar
- dash salt.
- Add cooled paste to creamed mixture. Beat. Add vanilla. Beat until fluffy.