Prep 10 mins
Cook 0 mins
Fresh flavoured and versatile. This salad can be served as a side with fish or as a lunch salad with a hard-boiled egg and/or canned tuna.
- 2 cups bean sprouts
- 1 celery rib
- 1 large carrot
- 1 lime, juice and zest of
- 4 tablespoons salted peanuts
- salt and pepper
- 2 -3 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 eggs (optional)
- Prepare the salad:.
- Boil eggs, peel and leave to cool (if using).
- Wash the beansprouts and drain them.
- Slice the celery very thinly in half moon shapes and shred the carrot on the wide blade (making strips 1/2 inch wide or so - this looks more attractive and tastes crispier than regular grated carrot, which can become a little mushy).
- Make the dressing:.
- Finely grate the lemon rind (optional - though this does add a nice green speckled effect to the pale salad vegetables, squeeze the lime.
- Mix the lime juice, rind, olive oil and salt and pepper together.
- Toss through the salad (tossing again if leaving it in the fridge for a while before serving).
- Just before serving: optional - lightly chop the peanuts (each nut yielding 2 - 4 pieces). Mix the majority of the peanuts evenly through the salad and scatter the remainder over the top. (If making a central bowl of salad or serving as a lunch time salad, a sliced hard-boiled egg can also be added; slice and place to the side or on top).