Prep 1 hr 30 mins
Cook 5 mins
From Al Forno Restaurant, Providence, RI
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1⁄4 cup red wine vinegar, plus
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1⁄2 cup virgin olive oil
- 3⁄4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 6 cups finely shredded cabbage
- 3 ounces thick slab bacon, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 3 cups mixed radicchio or 3 cups endive or 3 cups escarole
- 3 cups mixed leafy lettuce
- Make the vinaigrette: whisk together the mustard and ¼ cup vinegar in a bowl.
- Slowly whisk in the olive oil; add up to ¾ teaspoon salt, and then fold in the cabbage.
- Set aside for 1 hour, at room temperature, so the cabbage has a chance to marinate.
- Preheat broiler, lay out the bacon on a pie plate or baking sheet.
- Broil the bacon, turning once, for about 5 minutes, or until it browns.
- Remove the bacon from the broiler, and immediately add the remaining vinegar to the pan; swirl together, and pour the vinegar and bacon into the cabbage; toss to combine.
- Line a large platter or individual salad plates with the bitter greens and lettuces.
- Top with the cabbage mixture and serve immediately.