Top Review by KatBlack
This is simmering on my stovetop right now & it smells amazing. I will put it in the blender when its finished and return it to the stove to reheat. With some garlic bread with parm.....I can't wait.
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 large yellow onion
- 1⁄2 celery rib
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 2 (16 ounce) cans diced tomatoes (or 3 large fresh tomatoes, diced)
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil (or 1 tablespoon dried basil)
- 2 (16 ounce) cans tomato puree
- 1 (16 ounce) can beef stock
- 1⁄2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 bay leaf
- salt and pepper (to taste)
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat butter in a large stock pot. Dice onion and celery and add to pot. Saute until the onion is transparent.
- Sprinkle flour over onions one tablespoon at a time, stirring in each one thoroughly with a large spoon until paste forms.
- Add garlic, diced tomatoes and basil; stir.
- Stir in tomato puree and beef stock slowly, then whipping cream. The soup should be a rose color.
- Add bay leaf and simmer on low for about 1 hour. Remove bay leaf before serving.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- 8 to 10 servings.
- Lovely served with pate sandwiches recipe #117904 for a special luncheon. Or, serve in shot glasses as a tasty first course!