Recipe by Manami
Oh those days!....When we would come up to NYC from Cuba and my great aunt would take me to Saks' on 5th Avenue for lunch and I would just stare in wonderment. They were all just so elegant and lovely people, with their hats & short veils and their white gloves - ok enough reminiscing! This is a copycat recipe but it was still nice to remember. I am sure this recipe can be made with pre-mixed items and whipped non-dairy topping. Haven't made this as yet but will soon. Am estimating the prep times.
- 1⁄2 cup granulated sugar
- 1⁄2 cup fresh lemon juice
- 2 (3 1/3 ounce) packages lemon pudding mix or 2 (3 1/3 ounce) packages lemon mousse mix
- 2 1⁄2 pints fresh strawberries
- 1⁄3 cup granulated sugar
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1 (16 ounce) butter pound cake or 1 (16 ounce) angel food cake
- 3 cups whipped cream
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine sugar, lemon juice and water in small saucepan.
- Bring to boil over medium heat, stirring until sugar dissolves.
- Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer 1 minute.
- Cover and chill.
- Prepare pudding as pkg direction states.
- Transfer to small individual dessert bowls or fluted goblets, only filling 1/4 full.
- Chill until set.
- FRUIT AND TOPPING:.
- Roughly chop strawberries then divide and mash one half of the strawberries.
- Then combine the mashed and chopped strawberries with 1/3 cup sugar and 1/4 cup water in a saucepan on medium heat and simmer for about 2 minutes.
- Cut cake crosswise into 8 pieces.
- Cut each piece into 3 strips.
- Layer cake on top of set pudding, trimming to fit.
- Drizzle with 3 tablespoons lemon syrup, then the stwed strawberries.
- Repeat layering.
- Top with generous amounts of whipping cream.
- Garnish with strawberry slices or mint sprigs.