Oh those days!....When we would come up to NYC from Cuba and my great aunt would take me to Saks' on 5th Avenue for lunch and I would just stare in wonderment. They were all just so elegant and lovely people, with their hats & short veils and their white gloves - ok enough reminiscing! This is a copycat recipe but it was still nice to remember. I am sure this recipe can be made with pre-mixed items and whipped non-dairy topping. Haven't made this as yet but will soon. Am estimating the prep times.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 (3 1/3 ounce) packages lemon pudding mix or 2 (3 1/3 ounce) packages lemon mousse mix
- 2 1/2 pints fresh strawberries
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 (16 ounce) butter pound cake or 1 (16 ounce) angel food cake
- 3 cups whipped cream
- 2Combine sugar, lemon juice and water in small saucepan.
- 3Bring to boil over medium heat, stirring until sugar dissolves.
- 4Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer 1 minute.
- 5Cover and chill.
- 7Prepare pudding as pkg direction states.
- 8Transfer to small individual dessert bowls or fluted goblets, only filling 1/4 full.
- 9Chill until set.
- 10FRUIT AND TOPPING:.
- 11Roughly chop strawberries then divide and mash one half of the strawberries.
- 12Then combine the mashed and chopped strawberries with 1/3 cup sugar and 1/4 cup water in a saucepan on medium heat and simmer for about 2 minutes.
- 14Cut cake crosswise into 8 pieces.
- 15Cut each piece into 3 strips.
- 16Layer cake on top of set pudding, trimming to fit.
- 17Drizzle with 3 tablespoons lemon syrup, then the stwed strawberries.
- 18Repeat layering.
- 19Top with generous amounts of whipping cream.
- 20Garnish with strawberry slices or mint sprigs.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Sak's 5th Avenue Strawberry and Lemon Trifle
Serving Size: 1 (258 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 488.7
- Calories from Fat 151
- Total Fat 16.8 g
- Saturated Fat 9.7 g
- Cholesterol 143.3 mg
- Sodium 572.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 83.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.5 g
- Sugars 28.1 g
- Protein 4.6 g