Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Oh those days!....When we would come up to NYC from Cuba and my great aunt would take me to Saks' on 5th Avenue for lunch and I would just stare in wonderment. They were all just so elegant and lovely people, with their hats & short veils and their white gloves - ok enough reminiscing! This is a copycat recipe but it was still nice to remember. I am sure this recipe can be made with pre-mixed items and whipped non-dairy topping. Haven't made this as yet but will soon. Am estimating the prep times.
- 1⁄2 cup granulated sugar
- 1⁄2 cup fresh lemon juice
- 2 (3 1/3 ounce) packages lemon pudding mix or 2 (3 1/3 ounce) packages lemon mousse mix
- 2 1⁄2 pints fresh strawberries
- 1⁄3 cup granulated sugar
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1 (16 ounce) butter pound cake or 1 (16 ounce) angel food cake
- 3 cups whipped cream
- Combine sugar, lemon juice and water in small saucepan.
- Bring to boil over medium heat, stirring until sugar dissolves.
- Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer 1 minute.
- Cover and chill.
- Prepare pudding as pkg direction states.
- Transfer to small individual dessert bowls or fluted goblets, only filling 1/4 full.
- Chill until set.
- FRUIT AND TOPPING:.
- Roughly chop strawberries then divide and mash one half of the strawberries.
- Then combine the mashed and chopped strawberries with 1/3 cup sugar and 1/4 cup water in a saucepan on medium heat and simmer for about 2 minutes.
- Cut cake crosswise into 8 pieces.
- Cut each piece into 3 strips.
- Layer cake on top of set pudding, trimming to fit.
- Drizzle with 3 tablespoons lemon syrup, then the stwed strawberries.
- Repeat layering.
- Top with generous amounts of whipping cream.
- Garnish with strawberry slices or mint sprigs.