This is named after a dear student of mine who was originally from Cambodia. We had lunch in a Cambodian restaurant once and this is my "NO AUTHENTIC INGREDIENTS" copy of the recipe. At the time, fish sauce and such were not readily available even in California, so I faked it, but it turned out really well. My Cambodian and Vietnamese friends approve. It's a fast easy weeknight dish and is very open to whatever veggies you have in the fridge. (I love shredded carrots, cucumber, zucchini, halved cherry tomatoes....) What's best about it is that when I cook it I remember this troubled kid who finally made it :)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 8 ounces thin spaghetti (cappelini, angel hair)
- 6 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon hot red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon anchovy paste
- 1/4 cup packed fresh mint leaves, shredded (dried just doesn't work well here...)
- 1 lb any type of stir-fryable steak, such as flank, round, tri-tip, etc
- 3/4 cup fresh bean sprout
- 1/2 red bell pepper, cut in thin strips
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced celery
- 1/4 cup dried roasted peanuts, crushed
- mint (to garnish)
- 1Blend the vinegar, soy sauce, garlic, sugar, red pepper flakes, salt, and anchovy paste until smooth. (I love my hand blender).
- 2Cut steak into thin strips, pour about a third of sauce over it to marinate briefly.
- 3Cook noodles til tender, drain very well. In a large bowl toss the noodles with the remaining sauce, vegetables, and mint.
- 4Remove steak strips from marinade and stir fry over high heat until done to your liking. Add to noodles.
- 5Boil remaining marinade/sauce to cook through and toss with noodle beef mixture.
- 6Sprinkle with peanuts, garnish with mint leaves.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Sakhon’s Noodles
Serving Size: 1 (343 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 2
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1264.2
- Calories from Fat 543
- Total Fat 60.3 g
- Saturated Fat 19.5 g
- Cholesterol 155.9 mg
- Sodium 2548.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 104.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.6 g
- Sugars 17.6 g
- Protein 76.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
white wine vinegar