Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 20 mins
A spicy stew from the Andes. This recipe is from Yanuq.com.
- 2 red chilies, seeded and cut in large pieces (rocotos)
- 1 lemon, juice of
- 4 1⁄2 lbs chicken pieces
- 7 cups beer
- 3 1⁄2 lbs white potatoes, peeled and cut in half
- 3 1⁄2 lbs yucca root, peeled and cut in pieces (cassava)
- 4 onions, peeled and quartered
- 1⁄2 cabbage, cut in pieces
- 1 sweet red pepper, seeded
- oregano leaves
- When working with the rocotos, use gloves and be careful not to wipe your eyes or face. They are very hot!
- Soak the rocotos in boiling water with lemon juice for half hour. Drain and discard water.
- Cover bottom of a medium size pan with chicken pieces seasoned with salt and pepper.
- Layers the rest of ingredients: onions, cassava, rocotos, potatoes, cabbage, red pepper and oregano leaves. Repeat layers in the same order. Season each layer with salt and pepper.
- Pour beer to cover and cook, covered for 40 minutes.
- Serve with parsley sauce and huancaína sauce.