Recipe by Hey Jude
This is a delicious Nigella Lawson recipe that was printed in our Sunday paper some time ago. It's great to throw into the oven on a chilly Sunday afternoon. The dried herbs can be any that you like...rosemary, lavender, thyme, tarragon or oregano, or a mixture of all or any of those. Plan ahead, this has to marinate overnight.
Top Review by HarleychicHD
Made this the weekend the recipe was published (October 15, 2004) and have been making it ever since. One time I had marinated the chicken for 2 days (not by choice) and thought it was ruined (overpowering taste), but came out just as good as if it had marinaded over night.
- 10 chicken pieces
- 1 lemon, juice of
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 1⁄4 cup honey
- 1⁄2 cup red wine or 1⁄2 cup white wine
- 2 cloves garlic, smashed
- 1 tablespoon dried herbs (lavender, rosemary, thyme, oregano)
- 1 -2 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley (optional)
- lemon slice (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Place chicken pieces into a large freezer bag; squeeze lemon juice into a bowl, add olive oil, honey and wine; stir until honey is dissolved and pour mixture into the bag with the chicken, then add garlic and herbs to bag; smush things around well then place bag in a dish and refrigerate overnight.
- Heat oven to 325°; put chicken, skin side up, into a roasting pan with the marinade; cover pan tightly with foil and cook for 2 hours, then remove foil and turn up oven to 425° and cook for another 15-25 minutes, or until chicken skin is browned- watch it carefully as the honey in the marinade can make it burn quickly.
- Place chicken onto a warmed platter; spoon off excess fat from the cooking liquid left in the pan and place the pan onto a burner over medium heat.
- To make the sauce, scrape any concentrated bits from the pan's surface and add 1/2 water to dilute; stir until golden brown and pour over chicken.
- Garnish with parsley and lemon slices, if desired.