Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 10 mins
Cook 40 mins
With this, you can be as good or as naughty as you want to be. As with my recipes, its a mix and matcher.
- 2 -3 tablespoons butter
- 1 large onion (chopped)
- 2 -4 slices bacon, streaky (chopped)
- 6 -10 small mushrooms, chopped in half
- 250 ml long-grain rice or 250 ml risotto rice
- 2 -3 tablespoons frozen peas
- 250 ml boiling water
- 500 ml hot stock (chicken or turkey)
- 75 -150 g of any leftover cheese (I used a mix of mild and strong cheddar)
- Melt butter in a large pan.
- When hot add onion, then bacon, then mushrooms. Fry for 5 minutes or until onions are turning clear.
- Now add rice, simmering for 5 minutes, again until translucent, stirring most of the time. Add peas.
- While doing this, get a jug and defrost and heat the stock in a microwave (with my stock I have small bits of meat and that's ok).
- Now start to add the stock to the pan a little (3 or 4 tablespoons at a time) don't forget to keep microwaving the stock for it to remain HOT.
- When you run out of stock, then use boiled water. Now turn heat as low as you can go. Cook for 20 to 30 minutes or until the liquid has all gone.
- NOW FOR THE SINNERS BIT--when cooked, add cheese as much or as little as you like (I don't grate it--just chop it in bits) stir in the pan and turn off heat. Leave with lid on a minute or two, just so the cheese goes all gooey.
- Can be frozen.