1/2 Photos of Saint Lucia buns - Lussekatter - Saffron buns
1 hr 8 mins
A Swedish Tradition On 13 December the Swedes celebrate the Italian Saint Lucia with a remarkable enthusiasm, surpassing any Italian festivities devoted to the same lady. One mandatory constituent in the celebrations is a saffron-flavoured bun, in Swedish called a lussekatt, a "Lucia cat". The shape of this bun might vary somewhat, but is always based on bread designs dating back to earlier Christmas celebrations in Sweden. A Swedish Traditional Recipe from The Santesson Family, www.santesson.com
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Melt butter or margarine in a pan and add the milk and the saffron.
- 2Warm the mixture to 37 oC (100 oF).
- 3Use a thermometer; the correct temperature is important!
- 4Pour the mixture over the finely divided yeast; then add the remaining ingredients (except for the egg and the raisins), which should have a temperature of 21-23 oC (72-75 oF).
- 5Mix into a smooth dough.
- 6Cover the dough with a piece of cloth and let it rise for 30 minutes.
- 7Knead the dough, divide it into 25-30 pieces and form each piece into a round bun.
- 8Let the buns rest for a few minutes, covered by a piece of cloth.
- 9Form each bun into a string, 15-20 cm long, then arrange the string in a suitable shape, e.g. an S or double S. Regardless of the shape, the ends of the string should meet.
- 10Press a few raisins into the dough.
- 11Cover the"Lucia cats" with a piece of cloth and let them rise for 40 minutes.
- 12Whip the egg together with a few grains of salt, and paint the"Lucia cats" with the mixture.
- 13Bake them for 5-10 minutes in the oven at 250 oC (475 oF) until golden brownish yellow.
Browse Our Top Yeast Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Saint Lucia buns - Lussekatter - Saffron buns
Serving Size: 1 (57 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 24
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 180.5
- Calories from Fat 46
- Total Fat 5.1 g
- Saturated Fat 3.0 g
- Cholesterol 20.5 mg
- Sodium 47.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 29.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.9 g
- Sugars 6.3 g
- Protein 3.9 g