1/2 Photos of Saint Lucia buns - Lussekatter - Saffron buns
1 hr 8 mins
A Swedish Tradition On 13 December the Swedes celebrate the Italian Saint Lucia with a remarkable enthusiasm, surpassing any Italian festivities devoted to the same lady. One mandatory constituent in the celebrations is a saffron-flavoured bun, in Swedish called a lussekatt, a "Lucia cat". The shape of this bun might vary somewhat, but is always based on bread designs dating back to earlier Christmas celebrations in Sweden. A Swedish Traditional Recipe from The Santesson Family, www.santesson.com
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Melt butter or margarine in a pan and add the milk and the saffron.
- 2Warm the mixture to 37 oC (100 oF).
- 3Use a thermometer; the correct temperature is important!
- 4Pour the mixture over the finely divided yeast; then add the remaining ingredients (except for the egg and the raisins), which should have a temperature of 21-23 oC (72-75 oF).
- 5Mix into a smooth dough.
- 6Cover the dough with a piece of cloth and let it rise for 30 minutes.
- 7Knead the dough, divide it into 25-30 pieces and form each piece into a round bun.
- 8Let the buns rest for a few minutes, covered by a piece of cloth.
- 9Form each bun into a string, 15-20 cm long, then arrange the string in a suitable shape, e.g. an S or double S. Regardless of the shape, the ends of the string should meet.
- 10Press a few raisins into the dough.
- 11Cover the"Lucia cats" with a piece of cloth and let them rise for 40 minutes.
- 12Whip the egg together with a few grains of salt, and paint the"Lucia cats" with the mixture.
- 13Bake them for 5-10 minutes in the oven at 250 oC (475 oF) until golden brownish yellow.
Browse Our Top Yeast Breads Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Yeast Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Saint Lucia buns - Lussekatter - Saffron buns
Serving Size: 1 (57 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 24
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 180.5
- Calories from Fat 46
- Total Fat 5.1 g
- Saturated Fat 3.0 g
- Cholesterol 20.5 mg
- Sodium 47.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 29.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.9 g
- Sugars 6.3 g
- Protein 3.9 g