Prep 0 mins
Cook 1 hr 5 mins
A red cabbage and vegetable broth soup from France good for indigestion problems or hangovers. I think this came from a message board about 2001. I am not sure where it came from before that.
- 8 cups vegetable broth
- 1⁄2 medium red cabbage, finely shredded and minced
- 8 tablespoons lemon juice
- salt and pepper
- Prepare a good vegetable broth.
- Place the finely chopped cabbage, lemon juice, salt, and pepper in a deep bowl.
- Let the mixture sit for an hour, stirring from time to time.
- Bring the broth to a boil, add the cabbage and all contents of the bowl, and cook for about 5 minutes. Serve immediately after.
This is from the book "Twelve Months of Monastery Soups" by Brother Victor-Antoine d'Avila-Latourrette. It's a lovely book, if you haven't seen it. I like this recipe, but it has WAY too much lemon juice. I've made it a couple times. I would either leave the lemon juice out or use 1-2 TB instead of 8. I am making this tonight and I'm considering trying some wine vinegar instead of lemon.
I didnt have a hangover or stomach problem but had 1/2 a red cabbage that needed to be used. Very delicious. I just used canned vegetable broth. and had it for lunch with a turkey sandwhich. Thank you for sharing.