Recipe by Steve P.
Traditional Lebanese Cookies for Saint Barbara's Day
Top Review by Charishma_Ramchandani
These cookies were something different. But, I'd like to make a few suggestions based on how I made them today. Firstly, on mixing the dry ingredients with the butter-oil mixture, I didn't get a soft dough. What I got was something similar to "boondis" i.e., small round balls. I made these into round balls(just like we make ladoos) and then baked them for 24 minutes. Once these were cooled, I dipped them in the topping. For the topping, I suggest to heat sugar and water together and once the sugar has melted, to add the honey. Allow to simmer for 2-3 minutes. Then, dip the cooled cookies into this syrup and after removing from the syrup, arrange in a serving tray/dish and then sprinkle with nuts. Initially, I made the topping as the recipe says, but the problem was that the whole thing hardened up within seconds and made it very difficult for me. That's why I came up with the idea mentioned above. Another thing, I could make only 1 dozen cookies and not 3 dozen as per the measurements mentioned in this recipe. Overall, it was okie, something different from usual cookies.
- 1⁄3 cup cooking oil
- 1⁄2 cup butter, softened
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon orange juice
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄3 cup honey
- 1⁄3 cup finely chopped walnuts
Directions See How It's Made
- In mixer bowl, beat cooking oil into butter until blended, beat in sugar.
- Add orange juice, baking powder and baking soda, mix well.
- Add flour, a little at a time, to make a soft dough.
- Shape dough into 2-inch ovals and place on an ungreased baking sheet.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 20 to 25 minutes or until golden.
- Cool pastries on rack.
- Meanwhile Prepare Natif topping: In a saucepan, combine the 3/4 cup sugar, honey and 1/2 cup water, bring to a boil.
- Boil gently, uncovered for 5 minutes.
- Dip cooled pastries into the warm syrup.
- Sprinkle immediately with nuts.
- Dry on wire rack.