Prep 5 mins
Cook 2 hrs
- Boil all ingredients except for salt and Aji No Moto (MSG).
- Lower heat and simmer covered for 2 hours.
- Add salt and Aji No Moto (MSG).
- Strain broth if desired.
- To serve add cooked saimin/ramen noodles and garnish as desired.
- (Fish cake, green onions, roasted pork slices, sliced spam a local favorite, or anything else you would like).
Even though I have not tried this recipe I can tell you that this is the way I was taught to prepare Saimin in 1959 when I was 10 and made it for the first time. Definately Hawaiian style and authentic. ps: Aji No Moto is "Accent", otherwise known as monosodium glutemate (msg). Which contrary to papular belief has an extreamly low incidence of dietary reaction. Actually less than Iodized salt.
This made a good, flavorful broth that was nice with noodles. I left the mushrooms in when the broth was finished boiling, but pulled out the shrimp and ginger. Just a warning...when this is simmering the smell is pretty bad (sorry). Dried shrimp just has that certain "aroma." Other than that, I really liked this recipe. Thanks!