Recipe by Julesong
From "Simply Classic," the Seattle Junior League. The fishing and sailing communities in the Pacific Northwest are quite active, and recipes from the boat kitchens are much in demand. Simple, and delicious!
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 1⁄2 cup raisins
- 2 tablespoons caraway seeds
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 4 cups flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees; butter a heavy 9-inch skillet with an oven-proof handle.
- In a bowl, stir together the buttermilk, raisins, caraway seeds, and baking soda.
- In a separate large electric mixing bowl, beat together the butter and sugar, then stir in the buttermilk mixture.
- In another bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, and salt.
- With the mixer running on medium low, gradually add the flour mixture to the other mixed ingredients in the bowl until incorporated; do not overmix.
- Pour the batter into the buttered skillet and bake at 350 degrees for 60 minutes.
- Place a clean towel on a flat surface and carefully turn the bread out onto the towel; let stand for 30 minutes.
- Cut into wedges and serve warm with soft butter for spreading.